Friday, November 2, 2012

Happy Birthday to me and other important halloween traditions


A couple of days ago I turned 25.  People ask if it feels any different and I say, I still feel like I'm 21.  The years seem to have blended together since then.  Probably the only thing that makes me feel old is how difficult working out is for me anymore.  I have aches and pains in places that never hurt before and I blame my years of bouncing around on a cheerleading mat and running around the football field with a bass drum strapped to me.  But other than that, I'm doing good.  Tommy made me dinner and we did a little birthday shoppin.  And how can I not be happy with Tommy and Zach around?

I also got this in the mail for my birthday!  I'm so happy. :) What did Obama do for your birthday?! (Okay okay, that's pretty unfair.  This just HAPPENED to come in on my birthday.  There was no coordination on the Mitt Romney camp anywhere. But still, go Mitt!)

This year Tommy and I decided we would definitely dress up for Halloween.  we haven't the last two years and with a child we decided to get into the Halloween spirit.  In some ways our costumes were an epic event and in others they were an epic fail.  It took us forever to find a costume that I was willing to do that would take about $5 to do and less than 5 minutes to put together.  I'm not exactly crafty and so resist anything that requires thinking outside the box.  Zach's costume was easy and he's been wearing it for over a month as pajamas.  

Our little skeleton (His pj's glow in the dark!)
Now, when it came to Tommy's and my costume, we finally decided on Sam Sparks and Flint Lockwood from probably our favorite kids movie "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs".   Now I think we did an awesome job of recreating the characters, I even bought a scrunchy! And for Tommy we made 'spray on shoes!' and we got Steve put together (the monkey) with a head band and monkey thought translater (if you don't know by that sentence alone why we love this movie, then you'll never understand us) So that's the epic event part of it.

 



The fail part was that not a single person asked us who we were.  So then we just felt stupid.  We were so excited about our costumes only to see it fall apart (wa wa).  This may have deterred us from dressing up next year, but we'll see.  I'm sure a lot of people assumed we were nerds (which is funny if you've seen the movie) but I don't think I took it far enough if I was just a nerd.  I mean what's a nerd doing dressing in bright colors and purple skinny jeans and flats? Also, what's Tommy as a nerd doing with a monkey with a headband on and sparkly shoes? Okay, I'm done with that rant. 

Also, we spent a lot of money on Halloween candy this year.  $15! And our child didn't even go trick or treating.  We are definitely going to have a new plan of attack next year.  First, buy the crappy candy that no one wants (I didn't want to be that family and I was hoping for left overs.  And who wants crappy left over candy that will sit in your cupboard for 4 months before you finally toss it?) And then buy the good candy that's on sale Nov. 1.  Also, our doorbell rang 3 times.  3 measly times!  Granted, that meant we got to eat a whole bowl full of candy (the good kind).  But I guess that's the price you pay when you live next to the best neighborhood in town for trick or treating and not in it.   Also, Zach didn't get to wear his costume on Halloween because the awesome mother that I am, I forgot to do the laundry that contained his costume.   So this was Zach waiting for trick or treaters (who never came).  He seemed okay with it because he got to stay up a half hour later in case people were still ringing the doorbell until 8:00 (they didn't)


No comments:

Post a Comment