Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Some Observations

So this political season has been super enjoyable for me to watch and participate in.  The last election I knew McCain didn't have much of a shot and I really didn't feel he was the right man for the job.  But this year is much different.  It's brought up some interested side culture issues that I have found pretty interesting and I'd like to remark about that.  Don't worry, this doesn't have anything to do with either candidate.  This won't be negative about either political party.  Feel free to proceed without caution.

First off, I have read, heard, and spoken to a lot of people who are offended by people's opinions and emotions regarding this election.  My opinion, anything bigotrous (not a real word), racist, sexist, personal attacks, or anything otherwise hateful is inexcusable no matter what you may think and you're an ignorant jerk who has no place in any conversation.  Other than that, the fact that people can have and express their opinions freely is part of what make this country great!! Hello... in other countries people to this day can be punished in many colorful forms and fashions if they express their opinions (China, North Korea, anyone?)  We should be proud of this fact, not make people feel bad about having an opinion.

Some people are offended to the point of ignoring facebook, television, twitter, etc.  So what you're saying is, posts like, "It's sunny out", "Got my hair cut today", or "It's definitely a Monday" are a better use of your time?


There are others who have taken the point of bragging about NOT participating in politics.  They won't vote, they won't watch debates, blah blah blah.  Again, being able to participate in politics is what makes this country great! To brag about not taking part in a political process that men and women have fought and died for to make possible is, I'm sorry to use an ugly word, ignorance at its highest form.  I honestly would rather someone vote for the candidate opposite of me than not vote at all.  (I believe a balance in all things is important)  Fair elections is what helped set the United States apart from other countries.  Let's not be that person.

All said and done, I hope we all take advantage of the opportunity to vote and participate in the political process because when 20 years from now, knowing what some high school friend you haven't talked to in years did on their Monday morning one day will not exactly have had any effect on you whatsoever.  But a president's policies from 20 years ago will.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment